[RC] How did you get started? - Ed Kilpatrick

mel, with me, that old adage, behind every good man is a good woman, rings true.  i dont know that i would have gotten started doing distance riding without the brains of this outfit (kathi lee) coming up with the idea.   after a few years of trail riding, kathi lee found out about a CTR not far from where we live, and decided we would try it.   we met lots of people at the CTR who also did endurance.  they suggested we give it a try, so we did.   the first LD ride i did wasnt much to talk about.  everybody got lost on the trail because of lots of trees that got cut down, which messed up the trail markings.  however, it was enough to get me interested.   the second LD was a great experience, great management, lots of nice folks, and best of all, a completion!   after that,  i could hardly wait to ride another LD, then did a 50 about a year later.  i have ridden all distances, from 25 to 100, and enjoy every bit of it.  i dont consider myself strictly an endurance rider, because i enjoy lots of different horse activities.    endurance rides are my favorite, though!

so, basically, i guess i am saying, just get out there and get started!  there are plenty of available resources around so that you can learn about conditioning you and your horse.  there are lots of folks out there who can help you learn about all the other stuff, like getting through the vet check, setting up camp, etc.   get going!  cowboy ed