[RC] "A horse that can't be cantered is pretty useless" - Jonni

Hey Ray, to your statement: but I stand by that statement.Maybe modified to
:>"A field trial or other using horse that can't be cantered is totally
useless." <<<

I've not seen a field trial. I have seen a few riders who I thought might do
field trials working their horses out in the LBJ Grasslands here in Texas,
and they are usually on gaited horses, and not going especially quick as the
dogs are working. Are there times you have to really canter? or would it be
a tad slower, and a lope. I just assumed they never had to really move out,
as I'd think that would spook the birds. But again, I don't know much about
field trials.

BTW, I have spent a long time developing my horses BIG trot, before he was
ever asked to canter. I knew he had a big, push from behind trot, as I'd
seen him do it in the pasture. But, I wanted to be able to ask for it when I
rode him. I felt that teaching him to go into a canter, before I developed
this trot "on command" so to speak, would make teaching this big, big trot a
tad more difficult. It is just now, after riding him for a few years, that I
am asking for the canter on demand. We had broke into a canter in the past,
and no bucking etc., but it was just not a gait I felt he needed yet. We do
not ride to "win", and his trot has been sufficient. In fact, he finished
Tevis last summer, and had probably not been cantered but a handful of times
before that.

Now he will start learning to do so, he will learn his leads, and to pick
them up when I ask, from both the walk, and trot, and eventually we will
work on lead changes etc. But, I really did not see a need for his canter to
be developed before now. And I find him pretty useful <wink>

Jonni
www.pbase.com/photobyjonni