[RC] mule/ass question - Mom Alexander

Hello everyone.  I know nothing about mules, burros, donkeys etc..., but I'm sure there are lots of experts out there that do.  My question is, is it possible for there to be a cross between a horse and one of these?  For example; an equine that is  half horse half mule, or an equine that is half burro  half horse, or an equine that is half mule half burro.  Am I correct in believing that Mules are sterile?  What about burros? (are burros and donkeys the same thing, and is that what Mary was riding to Bethlehem?)

I bought a 4 year old Mustang mare this past summer, and the older she gets, the more she is looking like some kind of Ass.  I am wondering if out in the wild a mustang bred with a wild ass or vice versa, and this mare is the result?  Or, is she just an odd looking horse? She is amazingly quiet and calm, nothing spooks her.  I will try to get some pictures to show you, see what you think.  (Either way, I'm getting her ready for her first ride in Feb., or March)  And keeping on topic, I haven't cantered her yet. She is too uncoordinated and unbalanced. She's still a baby. We just walk and trot and are working on keeping a steady pace, paying attention to ME, responding to my cues, and relaxing.
                            Thanks, Vicki & Moon