RE: [RC] Fw: [RC] trot/canter,visual aids - Juli Jakub

I just wanted to make a quick note on "in your hands"...horses in classical dressage should have self carriage...they should not be in your hands, it is a light almost non existant contact...don't be fooled by all the people out there riding dressage that look like they are moving a mountain they are so tense and holding. It has become a fad...but it is not correct...just like extremely low head carriage is a fad in western pleasure but also not correct. Training eventers there is a fine line. They need to be disciplined enough to be in harmony with you in the dressage ring and be bold and independent enough to help you get through the cross country course.(i.e. save your butt when you make a stupid mistake) If you turn them into something that will only perform on cue that is " in your hand " in all likelihood you are going to have trouble on cross country. They need initiative of their own and they need to be light in your hand and off their front end. Having them maintain self carriage and respond quickly to cues given with the lightest touch is technically what is needed in dressage. There are many ways to teach that in and out of the arena. As I said before I like the arena alot but have no trouble with those that don't. But there is lots of confusion out there on what "on the bit" and " in your hands" means and arena work should NOT contribute to a heavy "in your hand" horse it should be promoting self carriage and reliability.

<P>Juli Jakub</P>
<P>The Air of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.</P>
<P>~ arabian proverb</P></DIV></html>

I have no wish to ride for miles and hours with my horse "in my hands" so to speak. I want to point him where we need to go, down the trail or cross country, at my choice of speed, and let the horse take care of the details.
The good ones are very clever at picking the best way.

----