Re: [RC] trot/canter - mkrumlaw

I'm not making any assumptions.  I'm just sharing my oppinion based on my
years in endurance, CTR, and in the ring.  As I said before we'll just
have to agree to disagree.

But in a true dressage ring there are no rails.

MKS

You're making the assumption that I don't ask for the lead change, or
asking them to stay
on the same lead and not changing when you want a counter canter.  And of
course there are
visual cues in the ring.  If your on the rail, and you have to go to the
left or hit the
rail, of course the horse knows its going to have to turn.  Which is why
when you are in
the ring, you don't allow them to cut the corner, they turn when you ask.

  The biggest assumption you are making here is that I don't know how
to ask my horse to
do things, that I'm just a hack, not a schooled rider, which is not the
case.

  Carolyn Burgess

mkrumlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
  Because you are using the visual guide of the trail to aid the horse
in
the direction, transition, and correct diagonal/lead. He can see where
he's supposed to go and the direction he's supposed to bend.

To correctly *ride* the horse he should be on *your* aids not the
trails. Meaning you are using your legs, seat, and reins to communicate
where you want the horse to be, how fast you want him to be going, and
in
what frame. When you're in a flat dressage ring there are no visual
barriers to guide the horse. It's all rider.

As I said, it's not as easy as it looks.

MKS

So how does the ring differ from the trail other than mindset of the
rider? If you do
circles in the ring working on certain things, why can you do that by
doing circles in a
field that you find while out riding on the trail? If you are coming up
on a section of
trail that snakes to the right and then snakes to the left, you can
practice a lead change
there. How is that different than asking for a lead change during a
figure 8 in the ring?

My husband and I often do training rides. During those training
rides, we will ask for
collection, we will do lead changes, work on extending trots, collected
canters taking off
with different leads, counter canters, and such. I guess I don't
understand how doing it
in a 70 x 140 sand ring is so different than asking for the same things
out on the trail.

Carolyn Burgess

Truman Prevatt wrote:
Carolyn Burgess wrote:

I have to disagree with this. Now, if you talking about going out
for
a "hack", then yes, I concur. I am one of those riders who can't
stand going around in circles in the ring. I'll be up in the ring
working away, thinking I've been there for a LONG time and I'll
look
at my watch and 5 minutes has elapsed. Five torturous minutes. I
will only work in the ring if it is a safely issue. I do all of my
training on the trail. I do dressage work on the trail, I do lead
changes, bending, gait changes, anything you can do in the ring, I
do
on the trail. It also teaches them that just because we are doing a
ride, doesn't mean that I won't ask for collection, lead changes,
different diagonals, etc.

Carolyn Burgess

*/mkrumlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxx/* wrote:

I don't believe you should use the trail to *teach* your horse the
correct leads and diagonals.

I'm not a big fan of the ring either. However, I think most horse can
benefit from some good ring work and most horse can benefit from
going
back into the ring every once in awhile for a refresher.

A baseball player learns to hit a fastball by slowly turning up the
speed on the pitching machine. He doesn't learn to hit it walking out
and facing Nolan Ryan's 100 mph fast ball on the day one. I think the
same concept works for the horse.

Truman

--

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded
our

- Albert Einstein

--
dangerous content by IntelliBlock MailScanner, www.intelliblock.net