[RC] Treeless saddles / comfort - Dodie Sable

My two cents worth on treeless saddles.  I don't believe they're a glorified
bareback pad.  I know, because I ride bareback.

I have been investigating treeless saddles as an alternative to bareback
because I want to do a 100 mile ride and I'm not sure that bareback in the
terrain where we live is a good idea for 100 miles.  Why do I ride bareback?
Because I tried every saddle under the sun on this particular horse over the
course of seven years and we couldn't get a fit for both of us to save our
lives.  Finally, I attempted a 30 LD mile ride bareback and all went fine,
so now that's how we ride.  It works for us and probably won't work for many
others.  I'm not recommending it, just using it as a point for this post.

I know several people, and have ridden trail with them, that have treeless
saddles on several types of horses.  High pointy withers, low round withers,
tent backs, etc.  They're horses seem to be very comfortable, the rider is
very comfortable and I've not seen any issues with slipping, rubbing,
soreness, etc. for either the horse or the rider.

As an owner of five competing horses, all shaped totally different from each
other, I know the value of a good saddle to fit the horse AND the rider.  If
the horse is comfortable but the rider is not, you're still going to cause
soreness to your horse as you ride due to shifting, tenseness and overall
unhappiness with the seat.  A treeless saddle isn't going to work for every
horse, or for every rider.  I truly believe that a well balanced rider on a
well balanced horse will find the treeless saddle most comfortable
regardless of body type.

If someone were interested in trying a treeless saddle, my recommendation
would be to scout around and find someone that is willing to loan one to try
one a ride.  If it works, then go get one!  If it doesn't, you haven't lost
anything.

Dodie