Re: [RC] Treeless Saddles - Karla Watson

>>That shape horse is the most dangerous to put a treeless saddle on, even though such a saddle seems like the solution to your saddle fit problems.  Treeless saddles, in my opinion, are not much more than bareback pads.  They slip and slide all over the place and on a horse with no withers and a round barrel, there is nothing to hold such a saddle in place.  Getting on and off become really risky since the
saddle slips so easily.  There are now quite a few treed saddles designed for round, low withered horses.  I'd definitely keep looking for a saddle with a tree for your safety if nothing else! Laney>>

Yes, I have to disagree too. Have you ridden in a treeless saddle with this type of horse? I've had 2 very good equine chiros tell me they are just fine and have not caused any back problems. Treeless are different and many like to knock different. You do have to learn how to get on your horse with a treeless. They don't completely slip. I think its much better anyway to hold some mane when you mountthan hold that saddle and let all your weight pull on your horse's back. At least thats what the chiros tell me. But it can be VERY hard to find a saddle that fits a rolly polly especially since this type of horse can change their shape dramatically during ride season. They tend to get pretty plumb when you don't ride them, then slim down when you ride them alot. What treed saddle is going to fit that? And rolly polly's have this big fat bulge down behind their shoulders that makes it difficult to fit many treed saddles. Lets not knock treeless saddles. They aren't for everyone but many, many people have great success with them, especially the rolly pollys out there.
--------Karla Watson/Oregon