[RC] OT--dog question - Alice Yovich

Sorry for the cross post and please email me privately with any responses you have...

I have a couple dogs that have taken to fighting and I'm not sure what to do about it. The bottom line is that they hate each other and one is determined to  kill the other. The other dog, just doesn't want to be killed. One is a JRT (Frankie, for those of you who have heard of him before) and he's my favorite dog. I've had him a year and he's trouble personified. He eats bridles, gets in the trash, walks on the tables, pees on my sewing equipment...you name it, he's done it. However, I adore this little ball of energy with all my heart!  He was kennel raised, bound for the show ring and just never had any real life until a year ago and he's come a long way.

The second dog is Scooby.  He's a ???, probably cocker and golden retriever. He's not bright, but he's very loyal and loving. I got him from Pet Smart three years ago and he's       a great companion, but he's a "little dog aggressive" and possibly people aggressive too...ok, not just possibly, when we had the housesitter here at Christmas he was almost eaten alive by the dog b/c the house sitter was a strange man in his house. However, it's always misplaced loyalty that gets him in trouble with dog or person. He loves me, this will be his downfall.

Today the fight was the worst we've ever had...Scooby in my lap, Frankie circling, Scooby growled, Frankie attacked (only got me by mistake) and a fight ensued. My dachshunds  helped--one barking and the other working on Frankie's back end. Might have been funny if it weren't so scary. I couldn't get them apart for anything.  Finally got one dog outside (Scooby) and Frankie stalked around hte house looking for him to attack again.

I have 4 dogs and any three get aloneg except where Frankie and Scooby are concerned. If I give either dog away, the others will all be fine. I don't know how to teach them to get along (dont' think they will at this point since this has been going on for over a year) and I don't know which dog should go. My husband and I have merit for giving either dog away, with a very strong possibility that Scooby should take the long walk with no return b/c he has become more aggressive  since we have had him. There is also a great chance that either dog would be fine in a new environment. As I said, both Scooby and Frankie get along with the little dogs, just not with each other. Frankie is way more people friendly...he's also a better barn dog as Scooby chases my horse when I ride (though no one else's)  I believe he thinks  he's protecting me.

the other concern is that we are over code for dogs. We could get a citation which would require us to find a dog a home, and I don't want it to come to that. My neighbor hates scooby (the feeling is mutual) and I think she would gladly turn us in.

So, as I said in then beginning...I'm looking for advice. Please email me privately. I know these are horse lists, but I'm trying this b/c you are my online friends. I'm needing a home for one of these dogs, or I guess I need to hear that putting Scooby down for being so aggressive is not necessarily a total loss/failure on my part. I don't want to cop out if I can find one of them a  home. And how do you choose?

thanks!