[RC] Northern California equestrians please send letter for trails.... - Karen Sullivan

Hello Northern California trail riders, please take minute to send an email to both Bob Gage at CSHA and Ukiah BLM encouraging development of trails and horse camps, and please forward this on to riding groups and other friends.
Both Cow Mountain and Cache Creek are incredible places to ride and BLM needs to know horse use is increasing and more trails and a camp are wanted.  Other groups (Off road vehicle and Mountain bikes are lobbying pretty hard for use on these areas).  There are already almost a million acres available in Lake Co., and Mendo Natl. Forest for ORV use; our horse trails need to be protected!  Even if you have not ridden these areas; you might want to some day!
The proposed horse camp at Payne Ranch (Cache Creek), is going to have access to miles and miles of trails which are spectacular. Please note, this camp will be only approx 2 hours from San Francisco, Sacramento area and Santa Rosa. It is currently a Wilderness study area with Tule elk, bald eagles and the incredible Cache Creek Canyon. Most
of the former Payne Ranch is rolling Oak Woodland with many small lakes to picnic by and swim in.
Thanks! Karen Sullivan

CA State Horseman's Assoc The CSHA is looking for information as to the amount of equestrians using the Cow Mtn and Cache Creek areas. They want to know how many users, how often, are horse numbers increasing and what people WANT (more trails, horse camp, etc)  and how many hours so as to strengthen their requests with the BLM RAC plan. If you can help with this please email Bob Gage at bgage@xxxxxxxx
 The CSHA has a web site and a great trail politics/issues page at www.californiastatehorsemen.com/trails.htm

Ukiah BLM is developing resource managment plan for BLM lands in northern California, please send comments also to ukiahrmp@xxxxxxxxxx

Below is a letter I sent locally to riding friends, with some points we need to make....

Hi Folks,

I am really hoping all of you who didn't make the BLM meetings can send some quick comments to either of
the links provided below. This is our public opportunity to tell BLM what we want, as they are developing a management plan for BLM managed lands in Lake, Colusa and Mendocino counties.  If we don't make the effort,
we only have ourselves to blame when there aren't enough trails....or we are sharing them with dirt bikes!  Also
please send this along to other folks you know in the horse community.

Also as a heads up, I have lately seen some big Mountain Bike websites that are encouraging members to push
for mountain bike access on all of the Cache Creek Wilderness study area....and you know those folks are organized and have a lot of members..

BLM is looking at ALL comments;we need to keep active and vocal for increased equestrian trials.  Please use your own words, and ideas, but there are some important points and things to mention or add.

North Cow:  -more loop trails on and off the Glen Eden trail; Lake County side
                  -NO DIRT BIKES (they already have 110 miles of trail on South Cow)
                  -get ride of Russian boar which have been deliberately released by local landowner and are a
                   danger to hikers and riders, and are destroying the oak woodland.
                  -regular trail maintenance with a trail-cat, especially part past Goat Rock to top of ridge
                  -connect up North Cow with a connector trail to Lake Mendocino

Cache Creek-recut portion of Redbud trail between Baton Flat to Wilson Valley that is washed out
                   -year round access at Judge Davis trailhead;regular maintenance of trail with trial-cat
                   -more loop trails off Judge Davis trail to creek and back
                   -loop trails in Payne Ranch
                   -development of horse camp with individual pipe corrals for horses
                   -no off road vehicle activity
                   -reroute boggy section of trail through Thompson canyon

below is an online link for comments

or email them at

Thanks everyone,
Karen Sullivan