Fw: Re: [RC] whisper syndrome] - Tom Sites

Deb,
In case I missed you with this....

Several of you have posted about related diseases in goats and even humans.
I missed this at first because there is a fungal disorder that sounds very
similar
and I knew that this was a gram positive bacterial disease and not fungus.

Kyle S. just helped me hit the jackpot because he recognized the symptoms
from his goats.

There is very little information on this in horses.

This is a rare and often fatal bacterial infection that is known in
Icelandic
horses.

We have all speculated Whisper Syndrome is an import! Bingo

http://www.cavalor.com/nutritionitem.php?id=175

It was very prevalent in PMU horses which came from Canada.
It occurs in Winter from feeding grass silage on the ground! Bingo
It causes gastroenteritis and septicemia.! Bingo

It is gram positive (thus penicillin would not be effective but Naxcel
would) Bingo

Survival h
as been reported now with Tucoprim which is also effective against
both gram positive and gram negative bacteria.  Another survivor had was
treated with SMZ (Spectrim or Bactrim) which is also effective against gram
positive bacterium. Bingo!

It causes stiff necks in humans and similar symptoms in goats.
This explains the Whisper twist.

Interestingly, not a single case of Whisper syndrome was reported to me
as being diagnosed as Listerosis.

John Holland