Re: [RC] Saddles (again!) - Mary Ann Spencer

3 yrs ago I changed from my all purpose passier, older one, to an Aussie after my mare spooked at a full gallop and I hit hard enough to crack my $55 helmut.  I did feel more secure and had no extra pains inspite of the saddle change.  So the transition was not a problem and I did a 50 on her in it.  No problems for either of us.  I also used it to slow her down a bit, which also worked.   There are models with and without the horn.  My current gelding doesn't like the saddle to be anywhere near him, maybe he needs more despooking, who knows about horses sometimes.  But have a somewhat flighty young mare who doesn't care what saddle you put on her and so I was using it when I rode her.  It gave me a more secure seat.

HOWEVER, my newest 'used' saddle is the Passier Gilbert and it has a deeper seat than all purpose and is very VERY nice.   Cost $1500 used which seems to be inline with many of the saddles I see advertised for sale here.  Check Ebay.  mas
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 8:29 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Saddles (again!)

Have the Aussie saddles changed?  When I tried them in the mid-80's (can't remember which but one of the top brands sold by Colin Dangaard (sp?)), I felt "perched" on top of my horse.

I tried a Tucker recently and I liked it all right (though I still prefer English), but it didn't fit the horse.

Dyane