Re: [RC] [RC] ? LA Gumbo ride - Mary Ann Spencer

The Gumbo ride this year had it pitfalls but all the woods here have the same ones.  Until I made the decision to go thru a normal looking puddle, we did 20 miles in 3.5 hrs, mostly trotting.  I started out late as my horse is an adrenaline junkie and gets really excited around other horses.  He is ok now but lost some wt and was very slightly dehydrated.   He did not waste his usual amount of hay on the way home as he was hungry.   mas
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC]   LA Gumbo ride

In a message dated 3/2/2005 3:26:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, Tracey Smith <tracey.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>I rode a CTR last year on the exact same trails where the Louisiana Gumbo endurance ride is held and could not believe anyone would want to do the trails at a faster speed as you'd need to for endurance! It was my younger mare's first CTR and several times we had "holes" as you mention open up under us...suddenly I'd just feel her rear or front end sink...can't imagine what kind of wreck I could have had if we'd been going faster!!!
>
>The terrain was gorgeous (I love E. Texas and Louisiana...anywhere with piney woods) but you really had to be on the lookout. Riders would shout out "hole on the right" or "hole on the left" when they could...but sometimes they opened up under you....with no warning.

We did the Gumbo ride this year (just the 25, as hubby and I were riding new horses).  My horse hit one hole, but no major incident.  We were pretty much able to see them all in time to avoid them.  There were 4 of us riding together, and the lead person had the responsibility of calling out where a hole was, and everyone would pass it back along the line.  We even cantered the last 5 or 6 miles of the ride as we were running up against the clock after stopping to help a 55 miler whose horse bolted with her - she came off and broke her wrist. :(  The trails definitely kept one on one's toes, but we had a blast, and will definitely be back next year - hopefully doing the 55.  :)  The forest was so pretty, having recently had a controlled burn done and the new green grass just starting to sprout.

If you like the Piney Woods, but don't like holes, come on over to Huntsville at the end of April and do our ride (Coontrail Caper).  Piney woods, sandy soil, nice trails, and no holes!  :)

Dawn Carrie