RE: [RC] Bits - for those of you who love your horse, read. - Nikki McCormack

Ok. I am behind as usual, but I wanted to offer my experience.

Last Sunday we went out on a ride. My husband on his new Spanish Mustang in a D-ring snaffle (we bought the SM because he was so extremely friendly and willing among other things) and I on my Arabian on his third time out with a bitless crosspull bridle. The horses both met their first motorcycles on this ride and my little Arab was very controllable in the bitless while the SM was a bit harder (though still did very well). A lot of this has to do with level of experience on trail as the SM is much younger. However, we have considered moving the SM onto a bitless once he has some more experience under his girth.

I strongly believe that the head gear is as severe as the hands using it, but I moved my Arab to a bitless so I could keep working with him while he recovered from a bizarre mouth injury. I also like that he can eat much easier on trail. The only problem I have had is that, when I try to ride him with a bit, he is reluctant to move out for me and will 'drag his feet', where he is very willing with the bitless. I am working on this since a bit can have its time and place.

Anyway, that is my experience with the bitless crosspull.

Nikki (and Cody who is still saying 'I told you so' after I got injured taking my route on the trail instead of the one he suggested)