[RC] Great article in TrailRider Magazine - Tracey Smith

Just wanted to let everyone know there is a great article in the March/April issue of The Trail Rider magazine about how to improve your trail horse's walk.  It talks about what conformation to look for if you are looking for a horse with a brisk walk (how to find it in non-gaited breeds as well as gaited) and how to teach your own horse to improve the speed of his walk.

I know most endurance riders trot much of the time...but when we do walk we want to maintain a brisk pace so we can stay on time.

This was of great interest to me as I know Amira has that fast walk as she occasionally does it, but the article gave me some great ideas of how to cue her to do it on a consistent basis.

I know there was some quibble on here (what else is new---<grin> ) about this magazine, but I have found some pretty good info and it beats the heck out of reading Cosmopolitan  or good housekeeping right?  I have never read Trail Blazer and don't always find articles to my liking in The Trail Rider but this is worth a look.

Tracey Smith
It is best not to swap horses while crossing the river. - Lincoln