See her water will stand in the packed clay for months, sort of permanent puddle ponds. They only dry up in the hottest part of the summer....

From: Mary Ann Spencer <spencerma2@xxxxxxxxx>
: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:13:10 -0800 (PST)

This was overall a good ride. And no problem for barefoot horses. It was fine until my horse stepped into a sink hole in a puddle. The hole is caused by 4 wheelers competing to see who can send up the highest mud wave. AND THE 4 WHEELERS THINK THE HORSES MESS UP TRAILS!! He fell down twice and on the second fall he went side ways and gravity threw me into the 3+ ft mud sink. Instead of going to camp which was in sight, he went back up the trails at 90 to nothing. No stopping him. We had just ALMOST completed the first 20 mile loop! We tried to track him on foot. Guess what-they walk much faster than we do, yeah right like no one on this site knew that??? Luckily I found his tracks and saw that he doubled back onto the main trail.

Competetitve trail rides yrs ago had what they called drag riders to help with problems. I am not saying that would be needed but as all the other riders are trying to compete then there are no horses for search and rescue.

After a horses was found dead last yr(another ride and different site), it might be something that needs to be addressed.

ALSO: tack choices in case your horse is lost is another subject.

Mary Ann, bruised but unhurt as mud is quite soft but the water was cold after getting out.