[RC] horse tack considerations for safety - Mary Ann Spencer

While looking for my horse for hours, I finally had to look at worst case scenario-dead or broken leg, etc.  The horse that died last year was wearing a tie down.   I have never used nor will ever use one but that contributed to the horses demise according to those in the know.  I have been using sissors snaps to hook up reins mostly out of the convenience to switch to lead rope or change type of reins.  It was reassuring to know the sissor snaps would open with enough pressure.  I was riding with 2 reins and the same side of both reins had opened so there was only one side and that side he stepped on but did not fight as he had been trained to yield to the pressure.

Point to make here:

If the way you attach your reins won't give with the severe pull, such as the horse would make stepping on them, then you may want to reconsider.  Traditional english type reins have a much stronger attachment.

Tie downs can add more problems if your horse gets lost.

A look at how your tack may affect your horse should he be out in the woods, etc without you and will it cause more problems with getting caught on objects, trees, etc.

I leave my stirrups locks open so they can be pulled of if caught on a tree snag.  My saddle was remarkably unharmed and the stirrups were snugged under the cantel of saddle.

Things could have been worse.  We all take our chances.      mas

Do you Yahoo!?