Re: [RC] [RC] Hoof Crack - Erica R. DeVoti

While  on the topic of hoof cracks, I have noticed a spongy, soft, blackish "divet" at the coronary band and front hoof wall of my gelding. Any ideas what this could be or have resulted from and if it could affect soundness?  It doesn't seem to be getting any better and not sure if I should try to treat it in some way.  Thanks.
Erica DeVoti
ponyxprss @centurytel.net