RE: [RC] [RC] Trailer turnaround - Laurie Durgin

We regularly unload 6 roundbales off a carhauler and use a 250 diesal to do it in my arena, cause I store the bales at the the edge of the arena under tarps on a slight hill for drainage.
Arena is on high ground, soil was Georgia clay and sandy subsoil, drained pretty good without footing. I have rockdust or screenings about 3-4' deep on 1/2 of the arena and a lot less on the other half ,cause I couldn't afford to do the whole thing this year.Arena measures 165 X 65 at one end,slightly wider at the other. Impressions on the good side even when soaked are only 2" deep from the truck, the other side sinks up to 4=6" in the wet spots, but it has very little footing left (tends to wash down on that side during torrential rains.Maybe 1' of footing on the bad, mushy side. ) i use rock dust as I can ride on it in winter and wet. Summer can get hard, but I can drag it or not .Only packs down when it rains and dries, if wet it stays spongie.

From: Stacy Sadar <stacy_sadar@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   Trailer turnaround
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 06:10:00 -0800 (PST)

Does anyone use their arena to turn their trailer around? Is it indoor or outdoor arena? If so, what is your arena footing? Reason for asking....I have a VERY long curvy back with a 3HorseGN in order to park it under the lean-to by my barn. My husband really doesn't want me to have to back it all the way so he's trying to figure out a way for me to turn it around and only have a short back to park it. I have limited space so I really don't want to use up more pasture or take out tons of trees in order to make a turn around. Otherwise, I'll just have to make the back the way it is. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks,
Stacy