[RC] bits.. - Opal Perry

I have to throw this out there... MOST of the time when you are having a horse run through a bit, not having brakes etc. then you need to examine the TRAINING not the equipment.  Going to a bigger bit, or a hack, or whatever is only a Band-aid..

My horse is a powerhouse.. he can be quite the trouble maker when he wants to.  But I can still ride him in just a smooth snaffle, or his fleece lined hackamore, or a bitless bridle (was done 2 years ago in PA by a friend).  The reason?  Because I work with him all the time in a surcingle and side reins, plus we do enough ring work to have some collection and he knows his boundaries!  That's not to say he still hasn't scared me from time to time, but if you guys are consistently having trouble with a horse spinning and bolting for home, or one not having any "whoa", then perhaps you need to address basic training again.  JMO.. Opal Perry

Do you Yahoo!?