Re: [RC] [RC] Bits - for those of you who love your horse, read. - Chris Paus

A couple of years ago the Starman suffered a kick to the face and serious injury. When he recovered he still had some nerve damage. i thought a bitless bridle would be a better alternative for him...

Ugh, no way. It was like steering a barge, even though he works well off my legs and seat. At the end of an LD ride, we both were extremely frustrated. I ended up having to take him to the vet chiro because his poll was torqued badly.

The bitless bridles are NOT pain free! they simply use different pressure points than bits do. I started my young mare in a bitless and it was a good way to get her started under saddle, but now that we're refining her training, she goes very nicely in a simple eggbutt snaffle.

chris

Linda Courts <courts198@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I used the bitless bridle on Orion for a few rides. Because of several
problems I decided it was not a good choice.

Orion is very strong in any kind of bridle when in competition. At home or
on casual training rides he can be ridden with a halter. Not so on ride
day!! He is the only horse that, so far, I have not been able to ride
bitless. I like the ease of eating and drinking that bitless allows.
However, pulling my arms off to keep the pace I want is NOT an option.
Therefore, I use a bit. Not a snaffle bit, but a mullen mouth curb. He
likes the bit and I have finger tip control. He does not work well in a
snaffle.

The bitless, Spirit/Freedom bridle:

1. Because the nose piece must be so tight to be effective, restricted
eating and drinking (which eliminates the reason I like bitless).

2. With the nose piece tight and in place as suggested, when Orion tried to
eat, it rubbed a bloody sore on his jaw bone.

3. It made him sore in the poll area,

My experience was not positive.

Linda Courts