Re: [RC] Bits - for those of you who love your horse, read. - Sisu West Ranch

The most interesting thing about this web page, is that it is published by someone with an axe to grind. The author is trying very hard to sell his/her bitless bridle. One should always be extremely cautious of advice given by those who will profit if you follow it.

This is only an advertisement. It is not a scientific paper on bits and their problems. Lots of footnotes, but no meat in the footnotes.

If this biased advertisement were true, all horses would exhibit most or all of the symptoms listed. I have owned horses for 30 years. They all have used various types of bits. None of the horses have exhibited any of the symptoms listed. Because this article appears to claim that bits always (or at least usually) cause the problems listed, the existance of horses that are ridden with bits and do not exhibit the symptoms are sufficeint to disprove the assertion.

While I can agree that improper use of bits (and also improper use of the various bitless bridle systems), can probably cause the problems listed, I do not agree that the only solution is to purchase this particular bridle. Education of the rider in the proper way to signal a horse using his/her hands gently, softly and humanely will produce better results in the long run.

Ed Ed & Wendy Hauser 2994 Mittower Road Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx