[RC] EPM recoveries - larry Miller

Ed, I think the secret to EPM recoveries is to treat the horse for as long as necessary.  I treated Bay for 6 months.  He came back well enough that I finished off his 2000 miles (he needed around 200) so he would get his MI blanket for 2000 miles.  I did it by doing 25s.  Bay was about 99% back to normal, his attitude was a 100% though.  He did have a hock problem which I think kept him from doing more than 25 at a time.  I retired him from distance riding when he was 17 but he is still ridden and he still is 'hot to trot'.  He is 23 now.  He had EPM when he was 12 and I put him back on trail when he was 13.  I only did one or two rides for a couple of years then got serious about getting his blanket when he was 16.   I figure each day I have him is a gift.  Jeanie