From: On Behalf Of Jeanie Bartson
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 6:04 PM
To: 'ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] sacroiliac joint

Thank you for all the information on pelvic/sacroiliac problems.  With
my 9 YO mare at first it was a subtle, intermittent problem.  Then after
one ride she tweeked her stifle in what appeared to be a sprain.  I am
continuing chiropractic treatment following my vet's instructions on
recovering from what appeared to be a stifle sprain.  My vets
recommended treatment consisted of stall rest for a few days, then
building up the surrounding muscles by incremental daily walking (30
minutes for 5 days) increasing to 40 minutes for 1 week and 50 minutes
walk and adding 5 minutes of trot for 1 week, adding another 10 minutes
of walking and increasing trot time to 10 minutes.  Each week we
increased the walk time and added at least 5 minutes more of trot time,
allowing plenty of cool down time.  My horse still exhibited stiffness
and the symptoms described in the article.  I had a traditional well
regarded Chiropractor come out and adjust her.  This did wonders for her
"Hunters Lump" but did nothing for the pelvic/sacroiliac problems--she
still moved in what I call a "peg leg" manner in the hind. Following the
traditional chiropractic techniques, in this situation (IMO) did not
seem to help my horses stifle. I decided to try an alternative
chiropractic method.  I have now used the VOM (veterinary orthopedic
manipulation) 2 times and today we are using both the VOM and a cold
lazer to encourage the deep tissue healing.  I hope this works, and if
you are interested, I will let you know. Any other info on this topic
would be appreciated.  I think my mare may be  a bit too straight in the
leg & hock area... perhaps that caused the SI stress?  I bought my mare
when she was 7 without knowing much about her history, other than that
she had been bred to race and had done a LD.  I may concuct further
tests with my vet, but now I am just hoping this alternative treatment
works. My vet did not think my mare would ever be suited for doing long
steep hills, but she said regular daily exercise is the best to keep her
fit and to minimize stiffness.

Jeanie B.