Re: [RC] AERC NC & FEI - heidi

Heidi wrote:

Funny, I was disappointed that Ft. Howes was both the NC and an FEI
ride because of the unfairness to those who would like to get an FEI
qualification but who either choose not to support the NC or whose
horses are not qualified to do the 100 at the NC. At least we can
agree  that the AERC NC should not be an FEI ride.

I had some thoughts on this.   First, the AERC NC is *supposed* to  be
the best of the best of our sport... kind of like another version  of
the old ROC format (as an aside I'd like to see the qualifications  for
our NC be a lot stiffer... make it mean something ... something  to
earn, like qualifying for the ROC).   Thus, you would think that  the
FEI type horse are exactly those who would also be at the NC
anyways.   ie, there wouldn't be any "FEI hopefulls who couldn't
qualify for the NC".   Perhaps some who didn't qualify *this* year,  but
that's why there is a next year.

Well, that also presumes that the "FEI hopefuls" have riders who even give
a hang about the AERC NC.

FWIW, I do have a horse that might be an "FEI hopeful" for the
NAEC--depending on whether he finishes his qualifications here shortly.
But I have also vowed NEVER to ride the AERC NC, no matter how qualified
the horse.  I suspect this horse is "qualified" to do the AERC NC 50, but
I really don't give a hang.  AERC is SUPPOSED to be about horses with long
careers that can do long mileage, and as such the NC does not represent a
championship, IMO.  I have not a thing against events such as ROC, and I
agree that ROC helped stimulate the interest for many people to ride
further--but that said, it was NOT billed as an AERC championship, nor is
FEI billed as an AERC championship.  FEI is a different thing, and
modeling our own championship into a one-race event where all the marbles
are in one basket really makes us very much like the FEI.  I have nothing
against FEI, but it is a "ride to win" proposition, and AERC is NOT
supposed to be like that.  But that is exactly what the AERC NC promotes.

Second, I have private feed back from FEI riders that if the NC is  not
an FEI qualification ride and there is an FEI qualification ride  on or
around the same time, they would need to go ride the FEI
qualification ride.   Anyone in this position is certainly welcome  to
chime in publically.

So what?  Life is full of choices.  My husband called from Denmark last
winter, wondering about getting his flight schedules arranged, and
wondering about coming home to do Ft. Howes.  When he heard it was the
AERC NC, he agreed--he will fly home a week later in hopes that we can go
to Rainbow, and if my little guy does make it to the application stage for
the NAEC, I will haul down to Californios the week before Ft. Howes and
give the NC a miss.

So, the big thing here would be do we force our FEI level riders to
chose between international and home?   No matter what my feeling  on
AERC-I is that this point, I would hate to see our AERC riders put  in a
position to be split.   We just don't have that many 100 mile  riders...
and less of that quality.

You "force" riders to make choices either way.  Fortunately, we also have
FEI choices that do not "force" us to do the NC.  And just doing endurance
"forces" me to make other choices such as doing without new shoes and new
clothes so that I can pay for diesel and entry fees.  Life is full of
choices, and "protecting people from choice" is IMO not a justification
for much of anything.

HOWEVER, as I've said many times before, I really want to see all of
the AERC rides here at home to be competed fairly... that means
drug testing, following ... not bending... rules, etc.   Integrity is
what  makes all of this mean anything.

On that we agree.

Heidi