Re: [RC] collection question - DVeritas

In a message dated 2/22/2005 4:02:15 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, tracey.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I don't mind trying something else as long as it is gentle enough to not be overpowering to her, but strong enough so I can still stop!  Suggestions?

Hi Tracey,
    It seems that if you are concerned about controlling her or stopping her, perhaps taking a few steps backward are called for.
    I would recommend moving back to tempo and rhythm exercises in the arena, with suppling exercises as well, in the snaffle bit.
    Attempting "true collection" before a horse understands FORWARD, SOFT, TEMPO and RHYTHM, might just be a "bit ahead" of where you need to be focusing.
    In my estimation, "true collection" is a by-product of a forward-moving, soft horse who has no fear of the bit is being used.
    The nature of the "tool" (bit) used should not be the focal point as much as arriving at a true understanding of where your horse's training might be stuck.
    A horse needs to understand the symbiosis between the rider and itself in order to pick up on what the requirements of the job are.
    If the symbiosis is harmonious, the result will be.
    If the symbiosis is adversarial in nature, the result (regardless of which bit/hack you use) will be the same.
    Sorry for the "vague nature" of my response, but I think in the rethinking of what you asked, you might find some answers.
     Good luck,
       ~Frank