[RC] Practical application of proposed USEF qualifications - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: kim kimfue@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If I am correctly reading what Steph wrote in her clarification post a horse
can nominate at 6 with only 200 miles.  Because the WEC requires a certificate
of capability the horse must complete at least one 100 at 13.5 in 13.5 hours.
Because USEF is considering dropping the requirement for 500 miles and 2 100
mile rides being completed before nomination it is possible that a 6 or 7.5
year old horse could represent the US at the 2006 WEC with only one 100 mile
ride under it's belt being required COC that has been completed in less then
13.5 hours and only 300 miles.
   So let's say that I want to nominate my 6 or 7 year old horse that has not
completed a 100.  I need a COC which means the 100 mile ride must be completed
in 13.5 hours.  Let's say I want to get my COC at this year's FEI sanctioned
rides. Since it is pouring here in So Cal I had some extra time to look up some
results from last year.  So looking at last years results....At 20 Mule Team
100 my horse would have had to placed 6th in the 100 to earn my COC,  at
Californios 100 I would have had to placed 1st as the second place horse came
in at 13:58....at Biltmore I would have to place 8th to finish in the 13.5 hour
range...if old Dominion was FEI sanctioned no horses would have earned their
COC last year as the winning time was over 13.5.  At Fort Howes I would have
had to place at least 14th to earn a COC. I didn't check Steph's ride but it
seems that a COC would be easiest to earn at Arabian Nights so I guess that
would be the ride I would have the best chance to qualifiy my youngster...Flat
and sandy....  Great, just what a young horse need is a fast sandy course that
need to be completed averaging over 7 miles per hour if my math is correct.
When you look at what the US horses have to accomplish it is mind boggling that
ANY organization would advocate that this is OK with inexperienced horses.
   So those that are making policy in USEF whether endurance riders or not
must think it is OK that some young horses complete their first 100s at the
above FEI rides in the top 10 or in some cases the top 5.  How can this line of
thinking be OK when the horse being nominated may only have a base of 200
miles.  I realize that these horses may not be chosen for the team BUT this
policy encourages (and directly says it is OK) to TRY.  If this policy is put
in place will it effect any Pan Am nominations after the WEC in 2006?  This
would certainly effect more US horse and riders as each time zone sends a team
of 6 and the host time zone 12 horses.
  I guess some do not think this effects AERC rides but it certainly may or
will effect AERC riders who choose to nominate.  My gut feeling tells me that
even though there may not be the direct connection between AERC & USEF as
Heidi, Steph, and Bob indicate there is some type of affiliation and I really
don't think that an official organization should be making policy that
encourages and allows inexperienced horses to have to qualify at the above
rides in or around the above placings.  When you look at exactly what these
horses would be attempting to accomplish it would be considered unreasonable
under any circumstances except perhaps in FEI.

Kim Fuess