Re: [RC] Define 'Collection' - k s swigart

From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm with kat here, but for other reasons.  Although I want my horse to
be
able to round and engage well at the walk, I NEVER want him to be
encouraged to shorten his stride at the walk, and since I don't do
dressage in the ring, I have no practical use for that.

Indeed, other than in the dressage ring in order to prove that you have
trained your horse to do it, there is little practical use for the
collected walk.  It is, sort of, used for walking down really steep
hills, but even for that, it isn't absolutely necessary to "preserve the
purity of the gait" since it is more than acceptable to allow the horse
to shuffle/slide down such hills.

Although, it is also handy in when walking down hill in the mud--which I
just spent a bit of time doing today, since we are, yet again, getting
innundated with rain--but we didn't spend very much time on the walk
part of the exercise and after the first pass, proceeded to doing the
exercise at the trot (doing it at the walk was really just intended to
ensure that there weren't any invisible sink holes on the trail that I
was using).  So I guess that is another place where the collected walk
can come in handy, situations of unsure footing.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

 On the trail,
though, there is CONSIDERABLE use to being able to shorten his stride
at
the trot or canter in an instant, so we work a lot on those two gaits
at
home.

Around here, I'm the "queen of walk" because I am constantly working
on my
horses to lengthen that walking stride--it is a part of each and every
conditioning ride, for the warmup period going out and the coolout
period
coming home...

Heidi