Re: [RC] On topic: Cross training my endurance horse - sehredt

---- Cindy Collins <ccollins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 I hate arenas, so when I can be outdoors and still be
working on control issues, it's great.  What about the rest of you?  Cindy

We just had some friends move from where we used to board and they bought a
ranch here in our little horsey town of Acton.  Several days ago it stopped
raining long enough for me to ride over to their place, meet up with them on
their horses, and show them the trail to the local Mecican restaurant.  We
hitched the horses, had lunch, then I rode them back to their place and then
home again.  They are NOT endurance people, so most of it was at a walk, but
what fun!  Ended up being about 12 miles for them and about 24 for me.  My
horse had to control itself at a walk with a couple of strange horses - not to
mention make two "under the freeway" road crossings in heavy traffic and stay
tied for an hour while we ate  :o)  Altogether some fine training!   The day
before yesterday I trailered over and did a little "Lewis and Clark" routine
for them on the ridges behind their new place - and then my wife and I took
them out on their new 5 mile loop in the drizzle.  It was some FINE training to
have my horse trotting along in totally unfamiliar territory - and though a
short ride, the hills provided a good workout.  I find having a reason and
purpose for the ride makes training oh so much more enjoyable!
:o)
Scott (sitting gloomily looking at rain since then)