RE: [RC] Temptations - Jim Holland

---- Dabney Finch <dabneyesq@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Cindy wrote:

When I was young I thought I wanted to be rich, now I just want to have
fun, be with people I love, and have enough money to keep riding.

Wow!  That says it all!!  (Profound!)

OK, Scott, here goes. Remember, you asked for it. <grin>  Like everything
else, it's relative.  Like training horses and mating elephants, (it's done
with a lot of roaring and screaming and takes two years to produce results)
figuring out your priorities takes awhile.  I worked for IBM for 30 years,
passed up numerous promotion opportunities to "management", and "big bucks"
and took only "selected" promotions because I had an "agenda" of my own. I
wanted to enjoy what I did with computers, make enough money to stash away
some retirement bucks, and support my "hobbies", which ranged from SCUBA, to
Sky Diving, to Horses, to Water Skiing, to Sailing, and a lot of other minor
stuff. I was determined that I was not going to die a millionaire from a
heart attack at 60, not going to have ulcers from stress, stay physically
fit, and hopefully, as Mr. Spock says, "live long and prosper".

After I left IBM, I started my own one person corporation (LANCONN, Inc)
which earned a 6 figure income for the first several years, and could have
been greater, but I was very "selective" about which customers I was willing
to work for.

I am now drawing Social Security and my IBM Pension. I have one customer
left.  My life style is nowhere near what it was....but I have a nice (tho
tiny) farm, two nice horses, a dog, a cat, Joan, and enough income (without
working) to ride EVERY day, buy enough booze to get drunk, sit on my deck
and watch my horses graze, buy Joan something nice on special occasions, and
attend rides.  I don't have a living quarters trailer, but a "rudimentary
one" I built on my own....I enjoyed doing that, just like I enjoyed putting
up all my fence. I can't afford to go to Europe, ski in Colorado, or sail in
the Virgin Islands, but I CAN do the things that are important to me.
Therein lies the key. No everyone WANTS all those things, and part of that
has to do with age.  Don't know how old you are, but you will find that the
older you get, the more selective and knowledgeable you become about what's
important to you. Eventually, you will know what is "enough"...which is the
"profound" part.

If I discard the possibility of winning the lottery or having a "rich uncle"
die, then I have no desire to have a million bucks because I'm not willing
to sacrifice my principles, my health, or the things I love (which includes
my horses) to get it.  Everything is a trade-off.  In addition, not everyone
is CAPABLE of earning a million bucks.  As Clint Eastwood says, "A man has
to know his limitations".

I would rather have the time (and my health) to ride my horses than a bigger
barn.  As long as they are "comfortable"...and I assure you I would go
hungry before I allowed them to...then why do I need a "bigger" barn?  I
would like to have a couple of "garage" type doors for my barn....but the
ones I have keep the rain out, and work just fine...I built them myself.
It's a matter of priorities. Remember, it's not about where you're going,
it' the "JOURNEY" that's important.

IMHO, you got a lot to learn about life, me boy! <grin> No offense,
Scott....and just MHO, which is not worth many $$$$.

If you ever get the time to sit down over a beer with Cindy, it would
behoove you to do that.  Never know, might learn something. :)

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

I'm sorry.  LOL  I don't see that as profound - I see it as bullcrap.  What
would be better, having fun with those you love and just enough money to
keep riding, or having fun with those you love and a million bucks?  The
money isn't the big deal in my scenario, but rather what you can do with it.
I'd love a better, nicer, cleaner, larger barn and pastures for my horses.
I bigger educational fund for my kids.  A nicer trailer and no job stress -
being free to travel the country and ride every famous trail I've ever read
about.  I'd love to have enough to throw some dough at a friend when they
are in need.  Many are afraid to wish for more - saying they just need
"enough."  Consequently, that is all they will ever have.  But at least they
can pretend to be "profound."
:o)
Scott (sorry - way off topeic - so flame me and boot me now........)