[RC] Broken Collar Bone - rides2far

Course, you could just do what Angie did and just go in for the
surgery
right off the bat.

Well....both times mine were plated the bone was displaced several inches
from the other end it needed to reattach to. The first time they were
kinda pointed up with a 3" gap, the 2nd time they were overlapping about
3" with a chunk folded down between the two ends. I don't think you can
talk them into plating without they really think it won't heal
otherwise...and it was STILL 6 weeks before I could ride. The plates
aren't that fun anyway. You never realize how many people come up behind
you and want to give your shoulders a massage until you have a plate that
HURTS when they grab it. Right now I've just been trying to find time to
schedule getting this last one removed. They say it could cause the bone
to shatter if I land on it with it in there.

I did do a 50 right at 6 weeks after the first plate. The doctor (whose
daughter had horses so he knew me) told me I could ride in 6 weeks and
made a followup appointment for me. I did a 55 that Saturday, went in on
Monday and he said, "O.K. you're cleared to get on a horse now". I told
him I did 55 on Sat. (I thought I'd followed directions perfectly) and he
was not thrilled with me. The worst part was trying to hold Kaboot back.
I had another rider with me who was willing to get in front and slow her
horse down to keep it from hurting me.

After my second injury I must have had some of that damage these guys are
talking about. I had to do physical therapy when I couldn't lift my arm
very high and doctors started talking about rotator cuff damage but I
kept working at it and have pretty much full recovery.

Six weeks is nothing...at least it's Feb/March instead of April/May.
You're just missing a bunch of mud. Once you've done the 9 months for
pregnancy or a year off for a damaged tendon a couple of times 6 weeks
for collarbone is chicken scratch. :-)

Angie