Re: [RC] Broken collarbone - Jody Rogers-Buttram

This may sound bad, (so no child abuse emails please, I didn't make her do it)  but Joni, my daughter, broke hers 2 times, once on each side.  The second break she rode a 2-day 100 at 4 weeks.  And she was 9 years old at the time.  Sooooo, maybe it won't be hurting at that point.  Of course, kids are tougher than us grown-ups.

Jody

Cynthia Eyler <eylerca@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My gelding hit a sink hole this afternoon at an easy trot.  So far he seems fine (no heat or swelling in the leg -- sound at the walk but don't know yet about at a trot), but I have a broken collarbone.  Clean break with no displacement.

I already know that I will not wait to ride until I get the repeat x-rays at 6 to 8 weeks (as the docs insisted that I should), but I figure that I should probably wait until I no longer need painkillers.

For those of you who've had this injury, how long did you wait to ride after such an injury, and what would you recommend?

Cindy