Re: [RC] President's Cup - Food for Thought - Truman Prevatt

Kim,

Some thought provoking questions. I would prefer the parallel to Lance Armstrong or Kip Keno ( I am dating myself here ) than Michael Johnson but if you must use Michael Johnson so be it. There is only one Lance Armstrong, one Kip Keno and one Michael Johnson. Another may come along in 20 years but not tomorrow. But these parallels are false. The similarities between these great endurance athletics are they all had long - even very long careers at the top. It is very doubtful that the horses that won either the WEC or PC will win another WEC or PC and they won't win three or four in a row. So these horses can't be compared to these great human athletes. These are one or two race wonders. This gets back to maybe an element of luck. When you are good and lucky you have a good day.

It seems that the program that is producing the 7 hour 100's in the desert are the ones that start with a large number of horses, train all for a 7 hour 100 and pick the one that is doing the best for the race. If he wins but never runs again - then it is considered a success.

I seriously doubt that Michael Johnson would consider one world record 400 meter performance to be a successful career. I doubt if Lance Armstrong would consider on win of a world class bike race to be a successful career and I know Kip Keno would not consider only setting one world record in a distance event to be a successful career.

So there are really no parallels between the one race wonders being produced to run 7 hours in the desert and world class athletics.

I also have the same question as to why anyone would want to put their horse through a high level of stress to go be an also ran - to fill the field so the winners can point to the number of horses they beat. If you don't have a chance - why put your horse at risk? As far as I can see it, there is little prestige in going have way around the world to finish last - especially in an event where they roll up the sidewalks and go home after the first 3 horses finish. But hey, that's just me.

Truman

Ridecamp Guest wrote:

Please Reply to: kim kimfue@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Little did I know that I would be thinking less then a month later that a 36% completion rate at the WEC is fabulous compared to an 18% completion rate at the PC. Some of the posts on the President's Cup were very enlightening and interesting as food for thought. Perhaps, Nik's comment that this venue is for the "Michael Jordons of endurance horses" (paraphrasing of course) is not too far off.

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman