Re: [RC] Shoes for riding in mud, easy boots - Kristen A Fisher

I can also tell you that I did a training ride after my mare pretzeled her LF shoe but before our farrier was scheduled, so I wrapped her hoof in vet wrap and used an EB for the training ride. After 16 miles, the EB was still on, but the mud had worked its way into every crevasse of the boots including under the vet wrap. From that experience, I wouldn't want to unnecessarily grind mud into her feet/cor band/ bulb if I didn't have to.

Kristen in TX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <kc85124@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:08 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Shoes for riding in mud, easy boots

Kathy,

I don't see the slight difference in weight between NB and other shoes
would make any difference in mud. It's more mud sucking on the foot than
weight of the shoe. Af far as easy boots in mud - good luck keeping them
on. They probably get sucked off and you'll down on your hands and knees
in the mud digging them out. Not only that they can be slicker than the
dickens on clay mud.

As far as I know - there is no prefered shoe in mud. In fact ridding in
mud pretty much sucks ;-) !

Truman

kc85124@xxxxxxxx wrote:

I'm looking forward to the spring rides but am afraid they will be pretty muddy with all the rain we have been getting. Would like ideas on what is the best kind of shoe to use in mud. Currently my horse wears natural balance shoes since that is best for the rocky trails we have to condition on but wonder if they are the best for soft footing since they are heavier than regular shoes. Would rim shoes or regular plates be best for mud riding? Barefoot is not an option for this horse. I like to use easy boots at times when the trails I have to train on are really rocky but they wear out so fast on the bottom when used over shoes. I also have tried using pads in them but the pads do work out the back. Any ideas on that? Not sure I understood Karen's message about using duck tape on the toe since my easy boots wear out on the bottom edges. Thanks and happy trails, Kathy Crothers ct region

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how
smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard