[RC] Team Madiya - StephTeeter

I love the optimism of this sport. And the generosity that goes with it.

Madiya has relatively few horses (compared to the other UAE stables) - she
has built her little stable up on guts and spunk and hard work. Madiya
conditions her own horses. She has Grace and Jan to help, and recently Juan
(from Spain) who is here for a short time, but there are no hired grooms to
do the training. She believes in  riding her own horses, and training her
own horses.

Tomorrow three of Madiya's horses will start the President's Cup - all three
are 'home' trained and conditioned, and all three will be attempting their
first 160 km ride. Madiya did several interviews after her own horse vetted
in, each one the message was clear "I'm here to complete - on my own horse,
that I've conditioned and prepared myself. We're not ready for speed yet,
but we're prepared for the challenge of the course. To Finish is to Win."
(she really said that!)

Heather Stevens will be riding another of Madiya's  horses. Heather was
supposed to ride Alyia in the Children's Race on Friday... but the devil is
in the details. The UAE determines the age of the rider by the year of their
birth, not the actual date of birth. So since Heather will be 17 in August
of 2005, she is considered a 17 yr old rider for the 2005 ride season. But
that wasn't really clear until they got here, and she found out that she
couldn't enter the Children's Race. So - Grace and Madiya offered her the
same horse for the President's Cup. 160km instead of 80km, the horse is fit
and capable , but has not yet done a 160km. Trust and generosity.

When Meg Sleeper's horse didn't vet through - foot problem that didn't
resolve in time for this ride - and another horse for her to ride couldn't
be found - again, trust and generosity. Grace and Madiya offered Meg 'Toady'
(Bint Dana). The tough little mare that I rode on a 40km training ride last
week. Small but tough and sturdy and a huge heart. This would be Toadie's
first 160km ride as well. These horses are all fit and mature enough for a
160km event - but it takes a great leap of faith (trust and generosity) to
offer them to other riders, on less than a day's notice.

I wish all of the President's Cup riders well - Everybody has their own
story, their own goal - but this little trio is a special story. We'll see
how the day goes. I'll be crewing for them as much as possible. I also told
the OC that I'd drive the sponsors around the course for a while. I do love
to drive over here - and am looking forward to that. But then again, maybe
I'll just bring them along with Grace for a loop and let them experience the
other side of the sport. We'll see what happens!

It's late, we're headed to bed. A few hours sleep and then up early, a
pre-dawn drive to the village, and the day begins!

Steph