[RC] Barefoot horses & pavement - WRSINOSKY

I usually remain quiet on any and all subjects on ridecamp, but barefoot is one thing I'd like to add my 2cents worth and horses on pavement.  Regarding the pavement issue Kari is having with her horse, Doimas does the same thing when the pavement is smooth.  He doesn't like those little sharp stones along the side of the road. I try to look at things from my horse's perspective. He walks where it feels the most comfortable. As for barefoot, all my horses are barefoot.  When I purchased Sebastian when he was around 14, the first thing I did was have his shoes pulled. Yes, it took quite awhile 'til he wasn't sore, but we just took it easy and tried to stay out of gravelly areas.  I've tried several different hoof boots.  The ones that work best for me are the Boa boots.  And Doimas loves them.  I only put them on when we're heading into areas with alot of small stones. Big rocks don't bother him and he has hooves like iron.  Anyhow, some people are more comfortable with shoeing. Fine with me. But personally, I like my horses with no shoes.
Cindy in Buckeye, AZ