Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Barefoot/Shoeing - Truman Prevatt

This gets back to not making major changes the day of a ride. If a horse is correctly shod or trimmed for the natural breakover point and you slap a boot on him/her the day of a ride - then you are making major changes without must acclimation time. You might get away with it a time or two but as a long term pratice it is probably flirting with disaster.

The one ride I used easyboots was beacuse the rough sharp Utah rock was beating up our horses feet since the were soft, just coming for wet FL. We, however, spent two weeks riding the horses in boots - longer and faster each time to get them used to them. There would have been no way we would have gone out popped on boots and taken off on a 100 without an acclimation period.

JMO, your mileage may vary.

Truman

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Breakover has never been an issue with our hundreds of miles in boots.
Never hear about people with shod horses discussing "setting the shoes
back put the breakover where you need it to be." Isn't the breakover
point controlled by the way the horse's hoof is trimmed and grows? Isn't
the breakover allowed to be where it needs to be if the boots are
removed after riding?

Yes, the breakover point should be able to be controlled by the trimming, and allowed to be where it needs to be. This can be done either for the barefoot horse or the shod horse. But in the barefoot horse, if you trim for the optimal breakover point when the feet are bare, then you change that breakover point when you put boots on. If you were to trim so that the boots were at the optimal breakover point, then you would have a completely different breakover point when the boots come off and the feet are bare.

This is a part of one of the problems of booting horses--whether they are
barefoot or whether the boots go on over shoes--the boots represent a
change that the horse does not have to deal with in his daily living, and
as such, do cause the horse to have to move differently than he does day
in and day out.

Heidi

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman