RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] Barefoot/Shoeing - terry banister

                "a lot of excessive strain on the soft tissues and joints and not something that I  personally, want to subject my horses to."

Would that strain compare to a shod horse riding fast for 100 miles in sand?

             "If the hoof is bare, the breakover point is controlled by the ground surface(wear or lack of) and the trimmer"

Wouldn't it be accurate to say that the horse's physical structure (horse needs) control where the breakover should be, and the activity and ground surface determine how quickly it shows up?

          "Depends on how the hoof is trimmed."

The correct trimming is key, whether barefoot or shod, is it not?

          "But, never the less, if it is too far forward when you?re riding"

And if it is not too far forward? The Epics are not that thick, and they have a beveled toe for breakover.

Also, my horse's feet are not symmetrical, and the breakover is not dead center on all hooves. How would a shoer set the shoe "back" to allow for that need?

I figure that most of my horse's 720 hours in each month are not being ridden, or ridden barefoot. That leaves only about 20 hours per month ridden with boots (that have a beveled toe for breakover) doing less than 20 miles per ride. Since there is usually only one day in that 4-6 week period the horse is ridden 50 miles with boots, it doesn't put enough theoretic strain to make him need to wear steel 24/7.

It's not like horses with shoes don't go lame . . .

Terry

"May the Horse be with you"

MSN Premium helps protect against viruses, hackers, junk e-mail & pop-ups. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=