RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] Barefoot/Shoeing - Karen Standefer

>>Breakover has never been an issue with our hundreds of miles in boots. Never hear about people with shod horses discussing "setting the shoes back put the breakover where you need it to be."<<

Wouldn’t expect for lay people to discuss this, but farriers do.? And, it’s more where the HORSE needs it to be, not the person.

>> Isn't the breakover point controlled by the way the horse's hoof is trimmed and grows?<<

If the hoof is bare, the breakover point is controlled by the ground surface (wear or lack of) and the trimmer.? If the hoof is booted, it is the hoof’s breakover PLUS the extra that the boot ads in front of it.? Even ¼” can cause the joints to be misaligned and put stress/strain on the ligaments, tendons and joints.?

>> Isn't the breakover allowed to be where it needs to be if the boots are removed after riding? <<

Depends on how the hoof is trimmed.? But, never the less, if it is too far forward when you’re riding, that is a lot of excessive strain on the soft tissues and joints and not something that I, personally, want to subject my horses to.

Karen