RE: [RC] Organic Selenium Yeast - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

From: Libby & Quentin Llop DVM [mailto:qhll@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 4:22 AM
To: suendavid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; 'Ridecamp'
Subject: Organic Selenium Yeast

Further questions:

1)       What 'results' is Susan seeing?

Rapid resolution of chronic muscle myopathies pretty much sums it up.  Increased stride length, more fluid gait, better jumping performance, better recoveries after work.

2)       In my geographic area it is safe to assume that animals are getting zero Se (as well as zero Cu and I) from locally grown feeds & forage. Granting that what is the functional advantage of feeding the organic Se vs. more of the inorganic, which would be more cost effective?

The organic form is considerably more expensive, although I don’t have the price here in front of me.  I think the advantage is that the organic form has less risk of toxicity issues if fed in fairly large amounts---although as I’ve said in numerous lectures, you have to try pretty hard to get real toxic issues in orally supplemented inorganic Se, but it is an issue to consider.  I don’t have a problem prescribing judicious supplementation of selenium yeast in some horses without first ascertaining selenium status via lab assay.  The supplement itself isn’t cheap, but it’s a lot less than serial assays at $80 a pop plus farm call.

    3 ) Does 'organic Se ' differ from a chelated mineral?

Essentially the same concept.  Inorganic mineral bonded to an organic molecule, in this case, a yeast.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS