Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 10:16 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Was Frigid Digit Now Buying Horse Sight Unseen

    IMHO, a 13 hour drive is a small price to pay for being certain that
the horse is just what you want.  Start adding up what it will cost you
if the horse isn't right: upkeep, shoeing, ordinary vet care, riding
time, angst, worry, guilt, and finally the effort you'll have to put
into selling him.  Some people can ride anything and get along just fine
and they are usually trainers.  The rest of us get along well with only
a pretty specific type of horse.  A lesson I learned several horses ago,
was to think long and hard about how a horse is described when the
describer is not like me and doesn't ride like me.  It's a problem both
when the seller is a very experienced horse person with whom all horses
are angels and when the seller is inexerienced and therefore can't
really describe the horse in any meaningful way.  The horse I bought had
been with a very strong and confident rider who could support and carry
the horse through anything.  I'm a very good but not strong rider and my
best efforts at supporting that horse weren't enough to make us feel
comfortable with each other.  Her insecurities never came up with the
stronger rider because the rider was the dominant leader and the horse
felt comfortable.
    A couple of weeks ago, I posted about my enjoyment of Jane Smiley's,
"A year at the races."  In it she suggests that a horse'e personality
can be described in 4 dimensions:  the horse is either 1) dominant or
submissive, and 2) curious or afraid, and 3) friendly or aloof, and 4)
energetic or laid back."  Describe yourself along those same
characteristics and it become obvious why some types of horses are bad
matches.
    You say you don't want to sell another horse that turns out not to
be suitable.  That tells me that you should be making every effort to
make sure the horse is suitable!  Don't skimp!!  Remember, "ride your
own ride."  What I mean by that is, don't fall into the trap of thinking
that the horse will be right for you because it was a good ride for
someone else unless you know that person well enough to know that they
are very much like you.
    Good luck!
Laney