RE: [RC] flax seed - Susan Jones

Ground
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Chastain, Shannon L.
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 8:48 PM
To: sjones@xxxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] flax seed

Was the friends ground or whole?
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Susan Jones
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 10:42 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've been doing some reading on flax seed (ground) and everyone seems to have a different opinion. One vet's site said only to feed it once or twice a week soaked with a mash or beet pulp because too much can be toxic. Another site said a tablespoon a day, another said 1/2 cup per day, below Mike feeds a cup a day. How do the rest of you on ridecamp feed this and why?

My horses get whole flax seed every day and have had no problem with up to 2 cups per day,

In the warmer weather, there were sprouted flax seeds in the manure piles which tells me some of it is going through unchanged.  It makes sense from this observation, that grinding the seed would give better results.

A friend was shocked when she saw I was feeding so much.  She had tried feeding it to her horses and they got diarrhea with only a couple of tablespoons.

She bought people flax and I buy the 50# bags at the feed store.  What's the difference?  Beats me.

Susan