[RC] saddle horse - Diana Anderson

I missed Hiedi's post so I don't know what led to Kat's slam of the thoroughbred horse.   I couldn't disagree with her more. They are very trainable.  Most all have the attitude of wanting a job.  ANY JOB.  They bond quickly with a people and if never been abused are very trusting. But they do have long memories.  Once abused it is a long haul  back.    As in any breed there are thoroughbreds that are a little frazzled in brain, some that are to dumb to poke a stick at and some that are just plain mean.

I haven't been in this sport very long yet have seen many of the same traits in the arabs I have watched run endurance.  They love what they do and who they do it with.  But many of them have "training" issues, rearing, prancing, bucking,  when the excitement of their "job" (the race) gets to be to much to contain.

I am not saying the thoroughbred is a good choice for endurance racing.  NO, I'm a believer  the arab is usually a better choice.   But Kat saying their breeding is leading to untrainable horses is like my saying they have bred quarter horses to be dim witted.  I have met a few that aren't very bright and talked with a people who have had the same experience with the QH but I would never slam the breed on hearsay.  There are to many success stories as in the Thoroughbred.

In our youth we would use breeds of dogs to describe our horses.

The Arab is the like the Poodle-bred for a tuff and tumble job but can do the FuFu thing too.

The Thoroughbred is like a good bird dog.  excitable but when he's on the bird he's all business

The WarmBlood is the like a Great Dane. A true Couch potato

Do you Yahoo!?