Re: [RC] torn acl - gary affleck

 I'm in on this late.  When I was 40 I blew my knee bad.  That was 18 years ago.  I had Kaiser and they did nothing about it, as it wasn't their knee and they didn't have to move on it.  I had outside insurance and started calling around to every orthopedic surgeon and ask a simple question to the Doctor.  I ask them who they would go too if they blew their knee out , because they couldn't operate on themselves.  They said "What?"  I said if your name comes up I'll call you back.
  A Doctor, I'll simply call Doc K in Castro Valley kept coming up.  Found out later he was the team surgeon for the Warriors and did work for the U.S. ski team.  I called, he ask me to come in that day.  Shot some dye into it and then showed me what was wrong and set up surgery for that Friday.  Scoped it that Friday walked out of the hospital.  Had a cast put on it that Monday to lock every thing down, six weeks later it came off, went through PS for about 6 weeks.  After about 4 months of pain and getting nowhere with Kaiser, this Doc had me fixed in a week.
 I had to be at least as good as I was before, They released me with it at 125%, 80% being the normal for release.  Everybody said I was finished in sports, as if you blow your knee, you're done.  I started back into Soccer, then went into Roller Hockey at the ripe age of 46 and a year later started Ice Hockey.  A few Championships and the knee has never bothered me, even on my horse.  Get another opinion and get it fixed.  If you blew it  or tore it, it's going to need surgery.  G.Affleck