[RC] WEC - terre

I've been reading all the post-WEC analysis posts with great interest--lots of food for thought. The Canadian horses did much better than the US horses--we finished 3 out of 5 starters, 3 out of 4 team members, and didn't lose our 4th team member till the last check--and that was due to a shoeing problem. We were actually at MORE of a disadvantage than the US team--there is no warm equivalent of Florida in Canada for us to train at, and in fact our horses did not get together in advance to train. Our Chef and Team Vet WERE familiar with most of the horses, tho... Our horses were predominantly 'mountain horses', altho Myna's has some sand to train on. It is winter up here. So, why the difference?

I think the big miscalculation you guys made this year was arriving "late". It was a planned strategy...but I don't think it worked. I suspect the 'arrive late, compete, and get out' theory derives mostly from racehorses and showjumpers, etc. I believe this to be your biggest 'mistake' this time around. Could have worked! Didn't!

I think another factor may have been the point made by the "French insider" about stalls. I believe most of the Canadian horses are accustomed to being stalled in the winter (our winters can be rather fierce!). This may make more of a difference than we think. I can remember in the very early days of FEI rides in NA the horses were required by FEI to be kept in portable stalls, and it was a mess! Many of the horses were frantic, and there was huge rider resentment (and the organizing committee didn't like the additional expense). After a time, FEI 'relented' and allowed us to go to the "separate camping" arrangement we use now. I'm wondering if perhaps we haven't shot ourselves in the foot on this one! The whole purpose of FEI-qualifiers is to accustom the competitors to the conditions they will meet at "the real thing"; we do this for the riders, vets and chefs, but may be failing to do it for the horses.

BTW--I think Angie's comment about Frigid Digit being more fun, and Barbara McCrary's post about the sports editor of her paper crystalizes the main difference between us and the Europeans. Altho we call Endurance a Sport, most of us (even the most competitive) treat it more like a "recreation". It is a hobby. It is supposed to be fun. Sports editors and Europeans apparently see a difference between what we do, and a "real sport"--like football, baseball, basketball and the Equine Olympic disciplines. You hardly ever hear them referred to as "fun"; and they are frequently 'big business". There is a different mindset. My hats are off to those who can do it, of any nation, as long as they don't do it at the expense of the horses. And whatever we think of the UAE version (doesn't appeal to me either), at least no horses died at this one, which is more than can be said for the last few, including those on this continent.

terre