[RC] KZ team - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

horses at the WEC, Eva Markova from Slovakia wrote
to me. I'm forwarding her comments and those of
her friend with their permission:

Eva:
here is Eva Markova from Slovakia. I've read your
question about KZ riders and I wanted to answer, but
I am not member of Ridecamp mailing list, so it is easier
do it this way.

Blesk is name of this disqualified horse from KZ team,
which arrive on 9th place, he is of Kabardian horse
breed (Caucasian mountain breed).

I've got some informations from my friend, which was
on WEC with Russian team, day after competition:

"Blesk was taken to hospital yesterday after the vets
took his blood and found too lot (or too high) level
of hematocrite. Or something like that :) If he would have
been cured withing 2 hours after the competition, it
would mean his disqualification. When I was leaving
the hospital it was still unknown - there was ongoing
argument between the competition vets and Kazakhstan
team who was arguing that hematocrite level is normal
for Kabardians. Today evening I should know more.

Some more explanation - Kazakhstan team were actually
Russian horses and Russian riders, three of them Kabardians
from Nalchik. Alim Kazharov was also in this team for
example. They got funding from Kazakhstan goverment
and I must admin they've used it very good. Their
organization was very good and they got lots of media
attention with horses racing very aggressively. Also
they had beautiful national clothes."

So this is all, what I know about this thing till this day.

Eva Markova

Eva later added:

> I am big fan of kabardian horses, but here (in Slovakia)
> is endurance ridden mainly with shagya arabs and my mare
> is the only one kabardian in our country.
>
> I think many of Russian breeds (kabardian, budjonny, don,
> orlov trotter etc.) are very perspective for endurance,
> because they were used for long time as military horses.
> I hope they will show they skill in future.
>
> My friend, French journalist, plan to make trip through
> all Europa on horseback of kabardian horses - from Caucasus
> (Russia) to Pyrenee (France) - next year to promote this
> breed. It is also endurance ;-)

Interesting stuff from around the world.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California