RE: [RC] One aspect why the French win - Jackie Causgrove

Why the French win.....  I think it goes a bit more than just institionalization of a sport.  I am French and am a first generation American.  At least in  my family and those from the region where my family is from, horses are looked upon differently than in the US.  In generalities, horses are much more accepted and commonplace.  Meaning, that when I tell someone in the US that I have a horse, the general response is "Oh really or gee, you must have money etc"  In France, it would be more like "But of course!"  Thus, the general support for horse and rider in France is there and not considered esoteric.
Why is this different?  Because it is a cultural mindset that is far different than in the US.  I can also compare this to when I was attempting to keep my amauter status.  At that time, the rules were stricter for my disipline (jumping) and it was very difficult to find sponorship and not violate amauter status (needed for Olympic trials).  If there had been an institutionalized program available for myself and the riders of that time, many wonderfully talented riders would have been eligible to go to the Olympics.  But they could not because they could not afford to do so.  Why was nothing of the sort in place?  Because the US does not have that collective mindset; does not support the various equistrain sports in general.  Instead, we have a "Dream Team" for basketball.  That is what the US has choosen to support.

Okay, enough rambling on regarding cultural differences and sports.

Jackie