[RC] I'm back-I think - drhopkins

After not reading or posting to ridecamp for well over a year, I thought I'd
resubscribe and read some horse care tips.  I guess I'm coming back at just
the right time.  Timely topics for me.  New horses, barefoot issues, too early
training, and freak accidents that have caused tremendous amounts of unfounded
guilt.
   Have mostly been on the Icelandic horse list as that is what I had decided
to purchase next.  My now 17 yo appendix gelding-the one who got me interested
in endurance, ended up with so many issues that I decided it would be best to
keep him strictly as a pleasure horse.  He has some arthritis-probably from
being started early-he was on the racetrack as a two year old.  I have had to
keep him barefoot to get his feet back in shape.  I have to rasp the toes and
put hoof hardener on weekly to keep from having dished hooves, contracted
heels etc.  I tried the Old Macs when they first came out on a hilly, muddy
ride and he ended up finishing but being pulled due to a spasm in the inside
of his back legs.  Thought it was tying up, but when I got home and wieghed
the muddy boots they were almost 3 lbs. each.  Probably a spasm from strain.
   Finally found and bought a 6 yo Icelandic Mare who was started at age 5.
Hoped to have many happy healthy years together.  She was so sweet that she
even stole my husband's heart.  Five years owning horses and this was the
first time my husband ever bonded with a horse.  She was doing great with the
other two horses.  One month after her long anticipated arrival, she somehow
got her back leg between the bottom two rungs of the stock gate (same kind
owned by everyone) and shattered her tibia above the hock.  I had just walked
away from the paddock when I heard a loud noise.  I ran back in time to see
her take a few lame steps.  I called the vet and she was euthanized within an
hour of my horrific discovery.  Everyday I look at that gate and wonder what
did I do or not do that led to this tragedy.  The vet told me there was
nothing wrong with my facilities.  At the drop off, the hauler reported to the
previous owner of the horse, my place deserved A+.  I still feel incredible
guilt and pain due to this freak accident, so I can sympathize with Bev.  I
loved this horse.  Due to the kindness and support of people on Icelandic
horse lists, I have been able to feel that I could buy and love another
horse.  An 11 yo Icelandic gelding will be delivered the middle of March.
Please lets be kind and supportive.  If anyone would have been this mean to
me, it probably would have sent me over the edge.  I hope that ridecamp could
be supportive.  When I make a mistake that I want to share with others to help
them from making the same mistake, I would expect not to be critisized.  When
I come here for help in a feed or training issue, I would expect not to be
ridiculed.  If this is not the ridecamp I will encounter, please let me know
so that I will know better than to post here again.

Anna
Lancaster, OH