Re: [RC] steves' remark seeing Paladin on the trail again - heidi

Why was it "terrible"? It's what happens when you put "win" above
"horse
welfare". It ain't pretty.

Don't you EVEN start! Taking somebody else's bad fortune and using it to
boost you up on your soap box... Maybe it's what happens when somebody
other than the horse's rider starts deciding what electrolytes to give
on race day!  The ONLY time I'd dare consider pointing a finger is when
a person has shown a PATTERN of disregard for their horse's welfare,
because there's no way to remove *all* risk. I have never, ever heard
anyone take Bev's name in vain. She didn't get this far taking his
health for granted.

Good for you, Angie.  First of all, the USA horses were not being ridden
for the win--they were being paced for team completions.

Secondly, Steve's post gave some pretty insightful information about
things that could well have adversely affected the USA horses--and I sure
hope that future squads learn something from the misfortune that likely
resulted from so many changes.  Steve's comments about the e-lytes were
particularly interesting--and what he observed could well have been a
major contributory factor to what happened to Pal, given what symptomology
has been suggested.  (Dr. Kim was there as Pal's/Bev's card swiper, and
gave us a pretty good firsthand account.)

Thirdly, I read Steve's remarks to be hopeful that Pal would make full
recovery--surely something that we all hope.  And if he DOES make a full
recovery, what on earth would be wrong with him going back out on the
trail?  He is clearly a horse that enjoys what he does--what is wrong with
that?

Fourthly, why on EARTH is it relevant where Bev was, anyway??  Sometimes
caring means getting the heck out of the way so the vets can work, even if
it is one's deepest emotional urge to be present.

My best to both Bev and Pal, and if he DOES make a full recovery and makes
it back out on the trail, he (and Bev!) will get a thumbs-up from me!

Heidi