RE: [RC] So, who went riding today???? - Spencer, Maryann LTC

Many of us rode the Frigid Digit yesterday at LBJ Grasslands.  The rain held off until after 7pm.  Was chilly in the morning and warm in the afternoon if one was riding.  Some muddy places but great footing otherwise.  Barefoot not a problem. Rode my green broke, recently gelding, gelding and was PLEASED with his pulses.  Now we can condition at a faster pace. It was his first endurance ride and we were working, at least I was, on his response to his rider.  We did ok considering it took us 4 days to get from CAL to TX.  Had a delay getting the health cerificate that no one has ever asked for and then had flat tire in El Paso.  Rode Friday with a friend who had ridden with us last Oct and he was impressed with the additional good behavior for riding.  We have started Parelli and it really works.  This guy was a quiet stallion and goes well with other horses as a gelding.  However, his heart rate was l4 before and after the first loop and l5 after the second loop.  Wish we had not had to geld him now if he has such a great heart.  We had not ridden for a couple of weeks and it was a long trailer ride back to TX.    LBJ grasslands is great riding and TADRA puts on good rides.  Happy trails to all. mas

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of RDCARRIE@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sat 2/5/2005 11:18 PM
To: paus@xxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] So, who went riding today????

My husband and I had a great ride today.  I rode my new horse Bear and he rode our Paso Fino mare Barbarita.  We did 14.5 miles, according to my GPS.  Did some more exploring at our ride site, and found a really neat old woods road that has some hills and neat terrain.  I found out that Bear is quite adept at the "Arabian Teleport," in response to encountering a pair of horse-eating logs that were lying in wait as we zipped around a corner.  I stayed on, much to my husband's amazement, but it wasn't pretty.  <VBG>  Nothing bothers this guy, except logs.  Not stumps, palmettos, etc.  Just logs.  Go figure.

It was a nice day to be out.  Supposed to rain all day tomorrow, so guess we'll work on the barn.  :)

Dawn in East Texas