RE: [RC] old age/emergency euthanasia - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

The
vet involved put the horse under and then bled him out.  She said it
was really horrible, because as he bled out, the anesthesia wore off,

Why not just re-sedate?

and he really did thrash and get panicky.  But it didn't take him long
to die after that, and he was up on a remote mountaintop with a
shattered leg, so other options were far less humane than what she did.

I had to hike in to attend a badly colicking mule on a mountain top last
winter that needed to be put down.  I had euthanasia solution with me, but
because we had no way to dispose of the body or keep away scavengers, that
wasn't an option.  I put the mule pretty far under with normal sedation,
then cut the dorsal aorta internally with a scalpel.  No external bleeding,
apparently no pain as the mule never even twitched when I cut him, he just
lay down, stayed down and died peacefully a few minutes later.  Not as neat
as barbiturates, but still worked very well, without risk to local wildlife.

I don't mind an animal being knocked unconscious if your aim is perfect, but
miss by a few inches and you'll just cave in the frontal sinuses, which
would be *very* painful.  Granted, cutting the dorsal aorta requires some
sedation, and some basic knowledge of anatomy (although it's not difficult),
but much better than cutting their throat.  If I didn't have sedation and a
scalpel available, I think a bullet would be my preference, though I
wouldn't want anything less than a .357 or a 9 mm.  I don't carry a gun or
euthanasia solution with me when I ride in remote areas, but I do carry a
small amount of sedation and a scalpel.

JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS